Where to tune your djembe?
Steer down Union Street, in the shade of Dinosaur BBQ ,find this pre gentrification authentic African drum store. And rejoice.
If you haven’t had a bike since your adolescent mongoose, these tips will get you wheeling like a pro:
1. Buy a helmet. This is the fashion accessory that puts it all together. Look at the ones you like, try them on , buy . Take it with you when you test ride. One step closer to riding ,one step away from procrastinating.
2. Find your local bike shop, circle out. The shops closest to your home or on the route you’ll most frequent to the park or work is the one you’ll visit for a flat fix or emergency repair. Convenience + community relations are your friends.
3. Think about your “bike style.” Commuting daily or to the park on weekends? Keeping your bike outside or in your office or living room ? Hauling groceries or training for the velodrome? These factors will influence the type of bike and the accessories that go with it. Best to think of this outside of the bike shop as not to be distracted by all the pretty,shiny things .
4. Consider used. Many bike shops take trade ins and re tool them .Excellent,unique,long lasting bikes can be found this way.
5. Test ride. There’s no substitute for riding to see know how different bikes feel on the road- and how you feel on them .
6.,Look on line . Didn’t find your dream ride in the store? Sites like bikesdirect have a big range of brands,types,prices. Order on line, have it assembled and customized at your favourite shop.
If you receive an invitation to a “public cupping” , have no fear. Drink plenty of water , and check phrases like “light and sweet ” at the cafe door. Prepare to learn the subtle nuisances of coffee tasting. Like a hanging , there wil be judging, but of beans from different regions , Fear caffeine after dinner ? Slurp , don’t swallow.
You may be lured to Vanderbilt’s Milkbar cause you heard Mr. Matt ‘National’ , Dean Wareham or Michael Cera have been seen caffeinating there. But you ‘ll return for the toasties & a carefully crafted flat white.www.milkbarbrooklyn.com
Breakfast all day, egg sandwiches as cheap as 3.25, pancakes, grits & a full bar. The 8 th avenue location was brunched out for decades. The newer 5 th avenue spot is more spacious and even dog friendly by default. The only downside….this stroller mecca is cash only.http://dizzy’s.com